Don’t Let The Bankers Win — Protect Your Home In Indiana
In Merrillville and throughout the state, we help our neighbors stay at home
Homeowners in Indiana really do have legal rights against big banks and mortgage companies. If you feel like you have nowhere to turn and you don’t know what to do, the foreclosure defense team at Merrillville’s Weiss & Schmidgall, P.C. can give you the opportunity to save your home and your financial future. With the knowledge and experience to bring a wide array of solutions for preserving your home and other property, helping people save their homes from foreclosure is one of the most fulfilling and important jobs we do.
Real-world solutions for real-world fears
You may be facing foreclosure for any number of reasons. Maybe you have lost your job and you are having trouble paying the mortgage. Maybe you were one of the millions of homeowners who were snookered by the banks into unconscionable and unfavorable mortgage loans. Maybe you suffered an illness that insurance wasn’t available for — or maybe you tried to negotiate on your own and the lender refused. Regardless of the reason why, Weiss & Schmidgall attorneys know the best ways to help you stay in your home, assuage your fears of being kicked out and help you get a grip on the situation. We may be able to provide a number of options, including:
- Loan modifications: Our lawyers may be able to negotiate with your mortgage company to get your loan caught up and possibly even reduce your payment substantially.
- Deed in lieu of foreclosure: If your lender accepts the deed instead of foreclosure, you won’t be on the hook if your home sells for less than the outstanding mortgage.
- In rem judgment: Much like a deed in lieu, expect that you can often stay in your home until the time of the sheriff’s sale.
- Short sales: Your lender may be willing to accept less than the outstanding amount you owe on your loan and sell the property at a loss.
- Forbearance agreements: Sometimes you can get your mortgage lender to agree to a suspension, reduction or postponement of payments for a specific period of time.
- Chapter 13 bankruptcy: You can place your arrearage into a Chapter 13 repayment plan and pay it off over a three- to five-year period. If you have a second mortgage, our lawyers may be able to strip the lien from the mortgage, changing it into an unsecured debt, which does not have to be repaid in full.
- Chapter 7 bankruptcy: If your home sells for less than the outstanding mortgage, filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy could eliminate that debt.
Guidance for foreclosure and debt relief in Indiana
Part of our job as your foreclosure defense lawyers is actively defending you in court and making certain that we do everything we can to make sure you can remain in your family home. Another part is educating our clients on some of the myths we come across with regard to foreclosure — it’s not just something that only happens to financially irresponsible people and you do have options irrespective of your financial situation. We’ll also guide you through what to expect during the foreclosure process and what we do every step of the way, from negotiating with lenders to filing for bankruptcy, if need be, to protect your home and your family. Our goal is to make sure you can move on with your life and enjoy your future.
Talk to our legal team about foreclosure and debt solutions
For more than a decade, the Weiss & Schmidgall, P.C. team has been protecting the rights of homeowners in Indiana. From our office in Merrillville, we serve all of Lake and Porter County to the edges of the state. Contact us online today or call 219-293-8988 to learn more about our services, flexible payment plans and free initial consultations.