Christopher R. Schmidgall
For more than ten years, Christopher Schmidgall has protected the lives of people who find themselves caught in the tangled machinery of criminal prosecution. With the skill and determination he’s demonstrated throughout his life, Chris offers them the help they need to get their lives back in order.
Not long after graduating from Valparaiso University Law School, he set to work defending the rights of people who otherwise couldn’t pay for his service. It’s a role he’s proudly kept for the past decade as a public defender in Gary City Court.
He now regularly sits as a judge pro tem, while also making sure that his clients can go about their daily lives without the terrible stress that one small mistake may have brought into it.
A devoted husband, father and congregant of Christ Lutheran Church, Chris believes in carrying forward the principles of Garry Weiss, and builds his life around ably serving his clients and neighbors.
- Indiana, 2002
- Illinois, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- J.D., Valparaiso University School of Law, 2002
- Course honors, Trial Practice and ERISA Seminar
- Legal Aid Clinic
- B.A., Illinois State University, 1998
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Bankruptcy & Creditors Rights Section
- Committee Chair, ISBA Financial Education Project
- Lake County Bar Association
- Board Certified, Consumer Bankruptcy Specialist, American Board of Certification, July, 2014
- Board of Directors for Project Rebuild Gary/Gary City Court Truancy Program
- President, Christ Lutheran Church Council
- Coaches youth basketball and youth softball
- Vice President, Kappa Delta Epsilon