Navigating You Through The Bankruptcy Process to a Successful Future
Lawyers for those who want to move past their debt in Indiana
If you have questions about the bankruptcy process, it is worth your while to speak to experienced Merrillville bankruptcy attorneys in a free initial consultation. A lawyer can explain the full process and advise you about how to proceed.
At Weiss & Schmidgall, P.C., in Merrillville, Indiana, we advise and assist clients in Lake and Porter counties of Indiana, as well as far away as South Bend and Lafayette. If filing bankruptcy is not the right course of action for you, we can counsel you about other debt relief and foreclosure defense options.
The basic bankruptcy process
In most cases, you won’t need to appear before a judge, and you never have to do it on your own. One of our attorneys will help you each step of the way. Our office will assist with preparing the necessary paperwork, obtaining credit reports, attending any hearings and handling the entire process.
In general, most bankruptcy cases consist of:
- Your free initial consultation, in which we will discuss your options and give you a checklist of documents to gather.
- An online credit counseling course, which you are required by law to complete.
- Filing the petition for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
- The meeting of creditors, where you and your attorney will meet with the bankruptcy trustee.
- A second online credit counseling course.
- Under Chapter 7, debts are usually discharged within three to four months of filing.
- Under Chapter 13, the repayment plan is usually put into place and the case closed within 36-60 months.
Learn more by contacting our Northwest Indiana credit counseling attorneys
Weiss & Schmidgall, P.C. can be called today at 219-293-8988 to discuss your debt problems in a free initial consultation. We offer flexible payment plans in bankruptcy starting for as little as $100 down. Day, evening and Saturday appointments are available.We offer flexible payment plans, and bankruptcy protection can begin with only $100 down to start your case. Day, evening and Saturday appointments are available. Contact our firm today to schedule your consultation.